Becoming a JP

IMPORTANT: We are developing a new online system for managing Justice of the Peace (JP) appointments. In preparation for the launch of this system, applications for JP appointment are temporarily closed until April 2019.

The current JP online system is also closed. To purchase a certificate of appointment and JP handbook, visit How to purchase a JP product.

JPs play an essential part in the legal system and in the community in NSW. By volunteering to become a JP you will be providing a valuable and important service to your community or place of employment.

Please read through the pages in this section for information about becoming a JP.

Please click here for information about the application process to be a JP.  

To apply for appointment as a JP you must:

  1. provide:
    • a certified copy of your Australian birth certificate OR
    • a certified copy of your Australian passport (relevant pages only) OR
    • a certified copy of your Australian citizenship certificate OR
    • a certified copy of a document from the NSW Electoral Commission which shows that they are currently enrolled to vote in NSW.

  2. provide a change of name certificate and proof of use of that name, if your current name is different to the name shown on your birth, passport, citizenship or enrolment document

  3. provide the names and contact details of two character referees

  4. disclose the matters required by the application form including:

    • Offences where you were found guilty but the charge was dismissed without conviction (i.e. under section 10 of the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act 1999)
    • All criminal offences because the 'spent convictions' provisions of section 12 the Criminal Records Act 1991 do not apply
    • All traffic offences that went to court.

  5. demonstrate the need for your appointment as a community JP at Part C OR attach a letter from your employer on the employer's letterhead demonstrating the employment need for the appointment

  6. sign the declaration and consent at Part F

  7. submit your application to your local NSW State Member of Parliament to consider nominating you for appointment.