NSW Caretaker Convention in effect on this site from Friday 3 March 2023.

Department of Justice is now the Department of Communities and Justice.  Find out more >

Information and services for JPs

JP Online

JP Online provides a simple way to access and manage your JP registration all in one place. Simply log in to: 

  • apply for reappointment
  • notify us of a change in circumstances
  • check your JP number and expiry date
  • update your JP Public Register details
  • order Justice of the Peace (JP) products.

Visit JP Online to register or to log in.

How to apply for reappointment on JP Online

When your term is approaching expiry, we’ll send you a courtesy email reminder to apply for reappointment. It’s your responsibility to apply for reappointment before the end of your term. You can log in to your JP Online account at any time to check the dates of your term of appointment. 

To apply for reappointment, you will need to:

Step 1: Log in to your JP Online account. 

Step 2: Complete the JP Knowledge Test. 

To learn more, visit Complete the JP Knowledge Test on JP Online.

Step 3: Complete the application for reappointment. 

To complete this application you will need:

  • to confirm your personal information
  • answer questions about your eligibility to continue as a JP
  • an Australian driver's licence (If you have one. If you do not have one you can still reapply.)
  • to outline your reason for reapplying:
    • if you are applying to be a community JP you will need to demonstrate the need for your appointment by describing in 2000 words or less who you will provide JP services to and why there is a need for JP services within this section of the community 
    • if you are applying as part of an employment need, a scanned copy of a supporting letter signed by your employer on the letterhead of your company/organisation, demonstrating the need for your appointment. The letter must state:
      • how the duties of your employment require you to provide JP services 
      • how often you will be required to provide JP services 
      • whether you are employed on a permanent/ongoing basis or a temporary basis. If you are employed on a temporary basis, how long will you be working
  • to disclose any criminal offences including spent convictions and traffic offences that went to court.

Scanned copies listed above do not need to be certified. 

If you have changed your name since your previous application you will need to provide evidence that you have legally changed your name and are currently using your new name. 

Visit Changing your name using JP Online for more details.

Unlike your original appointment application, you don’t need to request nomination from a Member of Parliament or provide character references.

You will receive an email notification when your application has been processed. 

How long does the reappointment application take to process?

The time it takes to process an reappointment application can vary depending on the complexity of the application. While the department aims to finalise all applications within three months, in some circumstances it may take up to six months. 

What to do if you no longer want to be a JP

If you don’t want to continue as a JP, you do not need to do anything — your appointment will automatically lapse on the expiry date of your current term and you will no longer be able to perform JP functions. 

Late reappointment applications

Late reappointment applications are not accepted. If you don’t apply before the end of your term, your appointment will lapse and you will not be able to perform JP functions. To continue to be a JP, you will have to start a new application for appointment.

Notify us of a change in circumstances using JP Online

The Code of Conduct [PDF 109KB] for Justices of the Peace requires you to notify the Department of Communities and Justice as soon as practicable of a change in your circumstances. 

You need to notify us about the following:

  • a change to your name
  • a change to your postal address
  • a change to your residential address 
  • a change to your email address
  • a change to your private mobile, home or business phone number
  • a change to the public phone number on which you can be contacted for JP services
  • a change to the suburb/s where you provide JP services (only if you are listed on the Public Register)
  • being convicted of a criminal offence
  • being found guilty of acting dishonestly by any court, tribunal, inquiry, regulatory agency, complaint handling or dispute resolution body or professional business, trade or industry association
  • becoming bankrupt or making any debt agreement or personal insolvency agreement
  • being disqualified from being involved in the management of any company
  • being suspended or disqualified from holding any licence, registration, certificate or membership in relation to any profession, business, trade or industry

You can let us know of a change in your circumstances by logging into JP Online and selecting 'Log a change' on your account homepage.

Changing your name using JP Online

You can only provide JP services using the name that appears on the JP Public Register. If your name has changed, you must notify us as soon as possible by logging into JP Online and completing a 'Change of Name' request. You must not use your new name when performing JP functions until you receive confirmation from us that your name has been updated on the register. 

To change your name on the JP Public Register, you will need to provide:

  • evidence that you have legally changed your name, such as a scanned certified copy of your:
    • marriage certificate, or
    • change of name document from the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages
  • evidence that you currently use the name, such as a scanned certified copy of your:
    • Australian Driver's licence
    • Medicare card
    • Australian Passport, or
    • Seniors Card.

Once you have submitted a Change of Name request, JP Appointment Services will email you to advise the outcome.

JP (Retired)

JPs who meet eligibility requirements can apply to the Department of Communities and Justice for authority to use the title ‘JP (Retired)’ after their name.

People who are granted the ‘JP (Retired)’ title will be able to keep it for life. They will not appear on the NSW public register of Justices of the Peace and will not be authorised to exercise JP functions.

Eligibility requirements 

In order to apply for the ‘JP (Retired)’ title, JPs must:

  • Be of good character
  • No longer be a JP
  • Must have been 65 years or older when they ceased to be a JP and 
  • Have been a JP for at least 10 consecutive years before ceasing to be a JP.

To maintain the integrity of the JP office, people using the ‘JP (Retired)’ title will still need to meet good character criteria and comply with the Justice of the Peace Code of Conduct. Failure to do so will result in removal of the title. 

How to apply for the ‘JP (Retired)’ title

If you would like more information about the JP retired title, including registering your interest in applying for the title, please send an email to jp@justice.nsw.gov.au or alternatively call the JP infoline on (02) 8688 7487.

Ordering JP products on JP Online

You can purchase a Certificate of Appointment and printed copy of the JP Handbook through your JP Online account.

Certificate of Appointment

Certificate of Appointment

The Certificate of Appointment features an embossed red metallic foil, which accentuates the JP title and the seal of the Attorney General. Each certificate is personalised with the appointment details of your current term of office, including your full name as it appears on the JP Register. Purchasing a Certificate of Appointment is optional and it is not required to perform JP services.

JP Handbook

Cover of Justice of the Peace Handbook with NSW Government logo and photo of two people sitting together, one signing a paper.

You can download a free copy of the JP Handbook or log in to your JP Online Account to order a professional printed copy.

​Certificate of Appointment
​JP Handbook (printed copy)
*includes postage, handling and GST.

The current shipping time for products is between 4-6 weeks. If you require a JP handbook urgently please download a copy for free at www.jp.nsw.gov.au


Please note that stamps are not available for purchase through JP Online. Many JPs buy a stamp to save time writing certain information, such as their full name and JP regsitration number, however stamps are not a requirement to perform JP services.

Refunds and changes policy

A refund can be approved if there has been an error made by the Department of Communities and Justice when processing a purchase. 

Refunds are not issued if the client has changed their mind or if the purchase is no longer required. Refunds are also not issued if the client has provided incorrect information, including an incorrect mailing address, to the Department when making their purchase.  

Clients can submit requests for refunds by email to jp@justice.nsw.gov.au.

Refunds, if approved, will normally be processed within 21 days of receipt of the request.

Performing your role as a JP

To understand your functions as a JP and how to perform them correctly, refer to the JP Handbook. You can download a free copy of the JP Handbook or log in to your JP Online Account to order a professionally printed copy.

The handbook also explains your obligations as a JP, including keeping your appointment details up-to-date and acting in accordance with the Code of Conduct for Justices of the Peace [PDF 109KB].

The Code of Conduct for JPs in NSW establishes the requirements and acceptable standards of behaviour for JPs in NSW. The code is also useful for members of the public who may be unsure of what to expect when seeking the services of a JP.

Privacy policy for the administration of JP appointments

The JP Appointment Team record the personal information you provide when you volunteer to become a Justice of the Peace and when you apply for reappointment. We protect the privacy of your personal information in accordance with the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.

We may use the personal information you provide for the following purposes:

  1. assessing your eligibility for appointment or reappointment as a JP
  2. providing you with information about your role and functions as a JP.

Publishing your contact details

Under law, we are required to publish your contact details on the Public Register of JPs. Your public contact details are:

  1. your full name
  2. the contact number you nominated for members of the public to call you
  3. the suburb or town and postcode you nominated as the location where you usually provide JP services.

If you’re registered as a community-based JP, we’ll also publish the times that you’re available to provide JP services as listed in your JP Online account.

Disclosing your information

During your term of office as a JP, or at any time after your term ends, any person or organisation can ask us to confirm whether or not you held an appointment as a JP. In response to these requests, we may disclose:

  • your full name
  • your JP registration number, and
  • the start and end dates of your term of office.

The Secretary of the Department of Communities and Justice may also issue a certificate confirming / declaring whether or not you were registered on the JP register at a particular time. The certificate is admissible evidence in legal proceedings.

In limited circumstances, we may be required to disclose your personal information without your consent. This includes your private contact details, such as your home address and private phone numbers. We may be required to disclose this information in connection with:

  • proceedings for an offence or for law enforcement purposes
  • where authorised or required by subpoena, or by search warrant or other statutory instrument
  • where reasonably necessary for the protection of the public revenue, or in order to investigate an offence where there are reasonable grounds to believe that an offence may have been committed, or
  • in other circumstances permitted by the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 or regulations.

More information

To find out more about your right to privacy and the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998, visit the Information and Privacy Commission NSW website.

Latest news

Stay up to date with the latest JP news.

JP Factsheets

Witnessing overseas and interstate documents [PDF]