Department of Justice is now the Department of Communities and Justice.  Find out more >

Contact JP Appointment Services

About us

Appointment Services manages the appointment of Justices of the Peace (JPs) in NSW. The role of our staff is to:

  • maintain the JP database and the JP Public Register
  • assess the eligibility of applications for JP appointment or reappointment
  • communicate with applicants and the Members of Parliament who nominated them about the outcome of applications
  • provide information and support to appointed JPs about their functions and appointment matters
  • provide information about the JP application process
  • handle complaints against JPs
  • review the appointment of a JP.

Contact us

You can contact us by phone, email or post. We operate during business hours Monday to Friday, with the exception of public holidays.

If you need JP services please visit our Finding a JP page. There you can search the JP public register or JP scheduled services by suburb. We cannot advise the location and times of JP services by phone.

JP Infoline

Call 02 8688 7487 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)


Appointment Services
NSW Department of Communities and Justice 
GPO Box 6
Sydney NSW 2001

Self service

If you have a JP Online account, you can login to apply for appointment or reappointment, update your registration details, check your JP number and expiry date, and order JP products.

Other services

Translating and interpreting

If you have difficulty understanding English and need to access information in another language, please call the Translating and Interpreter Service to speak with an interpreter. 

Call 131 450 and ask the interpreter to connect you to JP Appointment Services on 02 8688 7487.

National Relay Service

If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, please call the National Relay Service on 1300 555 727.

Legal help

If you need information to help with a legal problem, please contact LawAccess NSW. You can call LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529.

Submit feedback about a JP

For more information, visit Submit feedback about a JP.