Applying for reappointment 

IMPORTANT: We are developing a new online system for managing Justice of the Peace (JP) appointments and reappointments. In preparation for the launch of this system, applications for JP reappointment are temporarily closed until April 2019.

To ensure a smooth transition to the new system, you will need to supply an email address and ensure your contact details are up-to-date with us before Saturday, 23 February 2019.

You can update your details by emailing or calling 02 8688 7487. If you are unsure of the contact information you have registered, please send an email with your current details.

How we remind you to apply

Before the expiry of your current five-year term, the Department will remind you to apply for reappointment.

We contact you by email first, if you have given us an email address. If you have not given us an email address, or you did not respond to our email reminders, we will write to the postal address you have given us.

These reminders may be sent at any time within twelve months of the expiry date of your term.

If we send you a reminder by post, we will enclose a paper application form for you to complete. You still have the option of applying online.

What you need to do           

  1. Make sure your email address, postal address and mobile telephone number are up to date on the Department’s records at all times. This will ensure you receive our reminder to apply.
  2. Complete the application form. It requires you to confirm your personal information and answer questions about your eligibility to continue as a JP. The form does not require you to be nominated for reappointment by a Member of Parliament or to provide further character references.
  3. Make sure the Department receives your completed application form before midnight on the expiry date of your current term, otherwise your appointment will automatically lapse.
  4. If your appointment automatically lapses, you will no longer be authorised to perform the functions of a JP. If you wish to serve again as a JP, you will have to apply for a new appointment through a NSW Member of Parliament.

If you do not wish to continue as a JP

You do not need to do anything. In this case, your appointment will automatically lapse on the expiry date of your current term. Thank you for your service to the community as a JP for NSW.

Questions about JP procedures?

Read or download the latest edition of the JP Handbook.

Have you moved?

JPs are required to advise us of any change to their postal address, email or telephone number.

Want a Certificate?

JPs can purchase a Certificate of Appointment for their home or office.